About the Advocacy Institute
The Advocacy Institute supports social justice organizations to build the advocacy skills, knowledge and power they need to shape government policy for a more just and equitable New York. We envision governments at all levels that are accessible, transparent, and accountable to those directly impacted by injustice, especially communities of color.
About the Advocacy Leadership Accelerator
APPLICATIONS FOR OUR ADVOCACY LEADERSHIP ACCELERATOR ARE NOW CLOSED.
The Advocacy Institute is excited to host the first ever Advocacy Leadership Accelerator that seeks to create skills, capacity, networks, and support for advocates working across New York State. This 10-month program, held from September through June, is an opportunity for 15-20 advocates with some experience in legislative and budget advocacy to deepen their skills and build their leadership. This program will build on Advocacy Institute’s proven Legislative Campaign Assessment and Tracking Tool (LCATT) curriculum while digging deeper into campaign strategy.
This program will center an intersectional and racial equity lens to examine how multiple forms of oppression combine to impact advocates’ ability to affect policy change. The Advocacy Leadership Accelerator will be grounded in the work of participants, and our sessions will allow advocates to reflect on the challenges they are facing and strategies to address those challenges, in community with their peers. Applications for this program are now closed, please subscribe to our email list to keep updated on our other upcoming programs.
What you’ll get out of the Advocacy Leadership Accelerator
Participating in the Advocacy Leadership Accelerator is an exciting leadership opportunity to:
- Increase organizational capacity to run effective advocacy campaigns
- Strengthen individual advocacy leadership and knowledge, and develop stronger peer networks with advocates across the state
- Strengthen strategies and tactics to build leadership and ensure those directly impacted by injustice increase their influence on state policy-making
- Strengthen relationship-building skills for working with elected officials and coalition partners
- Learn practices and support for sustainability
- Learn additional advocacy strategies and tactics on topics such as: Honing your ask, developing leadership and decision making structures, conducting a campaign power analysis, planning for implementation, working effectively with lobbyists and other strategists, and other advanced campaign strategies.
Who is this program for?
This program is designed for advocates and organizers with some experience doing state-level advocacy campaigns, from organizations that will have a state-level campaign in the 2023 session in Albany.
- Serve communities in NY State (we are seeking regional diversity including Lower Hudson Valley, Mid-Hudson Valley, Capitol Region, North Country, Central NY, NYC, Western NY, Fingerlakes, and Long Island)
- Are committed to conducting a state-focused campaign (to pass a bill or influence the budget) during the 2023 legislative session
- Are committed to growing organizational capacity for advocacy work
- Preference will be given to BIPOC-led organizations doing community organizing
The Advocacy Leadership Accelerator might be a good fit for you if you…
- Have some prior experience with advocacy work and are committed to grow
- Have a key role in your organization’s advocacy campaign(s)
- Have organizational support & consent for participating in this program and applying what you learn to your campaign
- Are committed to and grounded in advancing racial equity through your work
- Can commit to full participation in the program (see program dates below), including two in-person retreats, semi-monthly virtual half-day sessions, and monthly strategic consulting sessions
The Advocacy Leadership Accelerator will accept one person per organization. Two people from the same organization may apply if they are based in different regions, and one will be placed on a waiting list, to be admitted if space is available. We are explicitly looking to recruit people of color, queer folks, people of varying abilities, and gender non-comforming people to deepen their skills and leadership in legislative advocacy.
Program Dates and Logistics
You will be expected to attend all the program dates below. Please let us know in your application form if there’s anything that would support you to be able to fully participate. We will cover meals, travel and lodging for the in-person retreats.
How to Apply
We are not currently accepting applications for the Advocacy Leadership Accelerator. Applications will open again in spring 2023. Please subscribe to our email list to keep updated on our other upcoming programs.
Please contact hello@advocacy-institute with any questions.